Sunday, September 23, 2012

Kind of, but not quite, my first day in Antigua


(beyond chronology, this has little semblance to anything constituting order…sorry)

This was not my first day in Antigua…but it was pretty much my first day in Antigua. I woke up at 5 (I don’t know why…don’t worry about it). I showered. No. I didn’t. The water in the hotel shower wouldn’t ever heat up. I stuck my head under the sink and washed my hair and called it good.

I can’t really say that I know exactly what I did to kill the time between then and about 8:30 when I left to look for…well anything really. There was some breakfast in there somewhere. But then I went to look for anything. I just started walking. I walked past the Plaza Mayor and took a right. Why not? When you are looking for anything how can you make a wrong turn? I found an organic grocery story, an organic café, a book store and a market. All on one street in a matter of a few blocks. Neat. I bought dental floss and cue tips. Cool huh?

It was still a little early to check out of the hotel and go to my new home so I pulled the whole sitting in a park, people-watching stunt. Cliché, I know, but give me a break. It was almost, kind of not my first day in Antigua. It’s a pretty park. People are watchable. I actually didn’t get much silent contemplation in before a nice man came up and started trying to convince me his Spanish school was the best. It might be. I got 30 minutes of solid practice right there, for free, without even asking for it. I also got the inside scoop on the futbol game at 11. Cool. Something to do!

….passage of time here where a nice man lugs my nearly 50 pound duffle bag about four blocks to my new home and then up 3 flights of stairs to my rooftop room (and I was just going to call a taxi)…

Futbol! I bought my ticket, and found a seat all by myself! I felt a little left out of the general camaraderie but it was fun to watch. Then I heard it! English! And right behind me nonetheless. Great success! I then asked the question any lone English speaker asks when they hear their native tongue in a foreign land: “You speak English?” Sometimes it’s the obvious things that make the best ice breakers really. Why yes, that is a purple elephant in the corner. How nice of you to notice…anyway…I know very little about futbol except to clap and yell when everyone else does, and that the team with the most numbers at the end won. WE WON! Woo! (No I’m not really that clueless but I have no details for you)

My new friends were Swedish and Norwegian (Mark, Mike and Mateo)! Neato! I called Augusta (who also lives on the third floor with me) and we all wandered aimlessly in search of food. We found, we ate, we struggled over the ticked but successfully paid and we left.

The next two or three hours involved walking, taking pictures, walking, pointing, walking, oohing and aahing, walking, and saying good-bye, good night, maybe we’ll run into you guys again sometime.

So now I’m ‘home’. My bags are unpacked nicely into a dresser. The sounds of the city are floating in through my window on a cool evening breeze. I am happily in my pajamas, sitting on a real mattress that won’t deflate in the night, in a room with four walls and decent internet. I am ‘home’ for at least two weeks here in a city of unpaved, stone streets and buildings the colors of the rainbow; nestled beneath a few protective volcanoes (we’ll call them protective for my own personal comfort). I have a home and I have friends. What more could you ask for? (Well, having my old friends here in my new surroundings would be the ideal world but you can’t win them all). So here’s to talking to strangers, playing with volcanoes and singing in the catacombs.

No comments:

Post a Comment