Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Oh, so you're gonna be a teacher...


"What are you studying?"
"English."
"Oh so you’re gonna be a teacher?"

I resented those words for the greater part of my college career. NO! I’m not going to be a teacher! I’m going to do something…something…I don’t know!...Something ELSE!

So now I have been out of college for a year and a half, and what am I doing?

I’m teaching.

And I love it.

Granted, I have only been at it for a week and a half and I haven’t faced many of the usual nightmares I’m sure to encounter in the future. But for now I’m actually making money (not a lot of it) doing the things I love: experiencing a different culture, speaking a different language, thinking about English all the time, and (yes this is a thing I love) presenting information to small groups of people on an almost daily basis.

The only thing that could make this any better would be if home were a little closer. But home (if you’ve been following me at all) is a subject all its own.

I guess this post is pretty short and sweet.
I love teaching.

I don’t know why I frowned upon it so much when I was younger but…well, people change.

So one more thing before I go: this may not be the ideal financial situation, but for once in my life, I can finally see what my dad meant when he said it is so much better to be doing something you love…Now I just have to cross my fingers (or just get my tushy in gear) and see what I can do about making this job work for me. 

1 comment:

  1. This put a smile on my face. So happy for you miss! :)

    ReplyDelete