Friday, October 19, 2012

Facing the Facts...It's time to move on


Alone: described in the dictionary as:
1: having no one else present; on one’s own
2: indicating that something is confined to the specified subject or recipient (it was meant for her alone)

So clearly this blog post will be about things being confined to a specified subject, being as I’m here, and confined to…ok who are we kidding? My closest friends the past four days have been Alec Baldwin and Tina Fey. It’s not as glamorous as it sounds. I haven’t shaved my legs in three and a half weeks and I can’t stop eating toast and pancakes because that is actually all there is to eat in the house (that’s a lie but just go with it…it’s not far off) and I’m too lazy to leave. But being alone isn’t bad. There is g-mail chat. I have spoken on the computer to 5 different friends the past 4 days. How cool is that? Yeah. Woah.

Anyway, my binge eating and deteriorating social skills aside, being alone has taught me a few things:

1: When I watch too much of something, I actually start acting like the characters. I don’t know if you have ever seen 30 Rock, but if you have: I have become an awkward combination of Liz and Jenna. I’m actually a little disappointed I didn’t pick up any Jack. If you haven’t seen 30 Rock: I have become an awkward combination of the girl who was princess Leia for Halloween too many years in a row and the girl who was forced into too many beauty pageants as a child. I’m actually a little disappointed I didn’t pick up some of the self-important businessman. I have no footage. You’re welcome.

2: One simply shouldn’t look in the mirror during these phases in life. When your activity level is almost negative, your calorie (specifically carb) consumption is excessively…positive?, and your general concern for appearance and/or hygiene is blatantly non-existent, what could you possibly hope to accomplish by looking in a mirror in a room with blue curtains and florescent lighting?

 3: The internet is not a replacement for real human interaction. I know it kind of feels like you are hanging out with whoever you are video chatting with, but you aren’t. Real people don’t suddenly disappear when the internet connection gets bad…usually. They also don’t make your eyes hurt a little bit if you stare at them too long…usually. And real people don’t sound like robots programmed by alien life forms trying to immolate human speech patterns with only every third word…usually. What I’m getting at is, I did see my friends on the screen this week, but it actually made me a little more homesick when the conversation was over.  I love technology, but it’s time to stop being alone.  

I guess the point of this post was to give myself an opportunity to think positively about my situation the past week. I definitely hit a few low spots, but it’s better if you can laugh about them. It’s time now for me to reach out and start trying again. A medical mission group from the States will be arriving tomorrow to work for a week in a clinic here. The time alone has been…enlightening, but I’m ready to meet new people, have new conversations, and re-start this adventure of mine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment